Now Hiring: Financial Controller
At Nickel Brook Brewing Company, we have developed a reputation for having a lively and enticing lineup
of beers. It is in our business to offer our customers an unrivaled experience designed to surpass
their expectations. Our employees enjoy a competitive compensation package and a lively place to
work, learn and grow.
The Controller shall hold responsibility for managing the overall financial operations of Nickel Brook
Brewing Company; and will provide accurate information to the Management, including analysis,
budgeting, forecasting and preparing financial reports. The Controller will be responsible for recruiting,
training and coaching Accounting staff; directing and managing the company's day-to-day accounting
functions, including establishing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures as
well as the preparation of financial statements and reporting to top management and externally. The
Controller also maintains the company's accounting systems and implements changes as required.
This exciting opportunity is suitable for an energetic, self-motivated individual:
• Manage the accounting operations including the review of journal entries, payroll, accounts
payable, accounts receivable and compliance reporting.
• Establish and monitor internal controls to ensure that accounting activities are in accordance
with established legal regulatory and company policies and procedures.
• Budgeting and forecasting.
• Prepare, analyze and present monthly, quarterly and annual operating results for each
• Work with operations to define, measure, analyze, improve and control current processes which
impact customer quality and influence internal operating efficiency.
• Provide strategic analysis as required to drive improved decision making.
• Work with external auditors, audit committee and Management team.
• Prepare and present financial information for quarterly and annual reports.
• Manage foreign exchange transactions.
• Manage research and development program for CCRA and accounting requirements.
• Work with sales team on product pricing, costing and margins.
• Responsible for the accuracy and timeliness of financial information
• Provides advice and guidance on all accounting matters including financial systems, record
keeping, analysis, and reporting
• Set priorities within accounting team
• Coordinating the year-end audit and preparation of audited financial statements
• Coordinates all other customer and government audits
• Responsible for the preparation of quarterly financial statements and external reporting to
financial institutions, ensuring that all reporting requirements are met
• All other financial reporting to various companies and agencies (TPC, Insurance, Stats Can, etc.)
• Generation of reports of performance against budgets
• Supporting new systems or project selections and implementation from a strategic finance and internal control perspective
• Ensures rapid and consistent collection of receivables by refining and implementing control mechanisms
• Assigns and authorizes cheques, purchase orders and invoices
• Promotes and maintains positive corporate relations with the financial community
• With input from the Senior Management, responsible for the formulation of accounting policies, procedures and controls
• Hiring, training, mentoring and supervising accounting staff
• Other related duties and required or assigned.
• University degree in Business/Accounting, with advanced degree or professional accounting designation (such as CA, CPA, CGA, CMA) preferred.
• Extensive experience and knowledge of all aspects of corporate accounting and financial management.
• Thorough knowledge of all relevant Federal, Provincial and local requirements regarding financial records, pension, profit sharing, and the like is essential.
• Proficient communication, interpersonal and organizational skills are vital to the role.
• Experience overseeing audits performed by external audit firms
• Financial analysis, budgeting and some strategic planning experience
• Knowledge of accounting principles, practices and applications
• Knowledge of budget preparation and analysis techniques
• Advanced knowledge of MS Office
• Management and or supervisory experience
• Good project management skills and the ability to motivate teams to produce quality work within tight timeframes
• Professional written and verbal communication skills
• Good problem-solving skills and the ability to make the necessary decisions to move forward the work at hand
• Knowledge of Quickbooks Enterprise an asset
• Excellent leadership, communication, presentation, problem-solving and organizational skills are essential.
• Ability to adapt to and learn new software
• Able to work efficiently as a part of a team as well as independently
• High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts
• Able to work well under pressure and meet set deadlines
• Good organizational, time management and prioritizing skills
• Ability to interpret and implement company policies and procedures
• Attention to detail in all areas of work
Please apply, in confidence, by sending your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants. Only those selected will be contacted.
Nickel Brook Brewing Company is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your application.